Tested in the new year already!!!!!!!!!

   I accept that life will always bring me challenges and how I face them will always test me. I promised myself that I would handle the upsetting things in my world a whole new way. What I never expected was to be tested so early in the year.

Since Saturday my world has blown up but so far I’m managing to muddle through without losing my mind. The caviaet being “So far,I haven’t lost my mind.”

Saturday afternoon I get a call from my oldest son to get over to my parents house my father has fallen. My dad is 74 but you wouldn’t know it to look at him. He’s 6’1 and about 200 pounds. He exercises regularly and is in great shape. He’s young at heart and lives that way. The call from my son scared me and the DH took me over there. Luckily I only live 2 blocks from my parents which in this instance was great. I get there, he’s already in his car (he’s a tough old dude) He tells me he thinks he broke his collarbone. He has a cut above his eye, large lump on his temple, and cuts on his arm and hand. I hop into his car and we head to the E.R. We only live a few blocks from the hospital, another reason I love living in my small city.

We get him seen. At this point he’s in an incredible amount of pain. Something I’ve never seen in my father. In the end he indeed broke his collar bone as well an a rib. We go home with pain meds and orders to get an appointment with an orthopedist. I stay with him that night. He was in pain all night and into the next day. Neither one of us got any sleep. Now his stomach is killing him and he ends up getting sick from the pain meds (my father’s only medication is a pill for acid reflux) So he isn’t used to taking any kind of narcotic. Back to the E.R we go. They decide to keep him and try to find some pain meds that won’t make him sick.

My mother is in a rehab center for her knee. She’s had a third surgery on her knee replacement and with the last surgery the Doc put her in a full cast. She is out of days as of the 12th and we are at a loss as to what is going to happen to her. Wednesday, I’m going to a car meeting at the facility, where we will be discussing her discharge date. I won’t know anything until she gets her cast removed, which we are doing on Thursday. Whether or not she will be able to walk will have to be seen. She’s been on complete bed rest for about 3 weeks. We may have to put her into a short-term facility until she can get around and my dad can heal from his injuries.

Thursday my oldest has to go to court because he got into a fight at school. In our school district, if you get into a fight, you get a ticket and have to go to court. The good news is that the fight is on video and everyone agrees that my son was walking down the hall when a football player walked up to him and sucker punched him in the side of the head. (The boys had been going back and forth with each other on twitter in the previous day leading up to the fight) Unfortunately for the kid who sucker punched my son, my kid kicked the shit out of him. When I went to pick him up, the only injuries my son suffered were bloody knuckles. The other kid was in much worse shape.  While I don’t like fighting, I was proud of my son for defending himself and wouldn’t change it for anything. It could have been worse, my oldest is 6’3 and built like a linebacker so I’m happy that the fight was broken up. Thankfully the DH will be taking him to court and now we’ll find out what kind of fine the court is going to give us.

To cap this off is the fact that my son is having major surgery on his foot. Now my son is 14 and is 6’1 and about 200 pounds. Much bigger than I am. He’ll be home for at least a month and I’ve had to coordinate with the schools to get him a teacher who will come to my home twice a week.

If my mom can get around even a little that would be awesome. I can split my time between taking care of my son during the day and going over to my parents house to help them out in the evening. It will be tough but I know we can all pull through this and I hope I will be a better person for it.

I’m fortunate that I live so close to my family and I wouldn’t have it any other way. OF course there are times when I wish I was in another part of the country but those times are few. I grew up with a very large extended family and what a difference my childhood was like. Every weekend we all would be at my grandparents house. The had 3 acres of land. Prime land for baseball and football games, riding mini bikes and exploring the woods. Too many families now are scattered across the country and I thinks it’s very sad.

   So the next few months will be a challenge but with the support of my family and friends, we’ll get through this and life will return to normal.







  1. Wow. You do have your work cut out for you. Feel free to vent anytime you want, I will read. I have been there, with the plate so full it is cracking under the weight.


Comments RSS TrackBack Identifier URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events